Once it’s Fall a favorite ingredient of mine is sweet potatoes. They’re warm, sweet and delicious all on their own- or in this case slathered in homemade peanut sauce…… I give you vegan thai twice baked sweet potatoes (what a mouth full!).
I am a big twice baked potatoes girl. On Christmas growing up my mom used to make them loaded with sour cream, butter and lots of cheddar cheese. She would triple the batch so we had leftovers for dayyyysss (smart woman). It’s no wonder I’ve always loved carbs….
This is my dairy free & healthified version of hers. I think she would approve!
Instead of normal potatoes, sweet potatoes are used. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin A, C and fiber which means they keep you feeling full. Yes please.
Rather than using sour cream or butter like in most twice baked recipes, coconut cream is used. This is the perfect pairing with the thai flavors. The coconut flavor is mild and creates an amazing creamy texture. Simply sweet potatoes + coconut cream. THAT’s it. Yay for simple & minimal ingredients.
Can we talk about the creamy PEANUT sauce?! So dreamy & delicious. It truly is the magic ingredient on these thai twice baked sweet potatoes. Who knew homemade peanut sauce was so stinkin’ easy? Definitely keeping some in my fridge at all times.
These thai twice baked sweet potatoes truly could not be easier to make. I make a double batch at the beginning of the week and eat the leftovers for lunch. Simply warm them up in the microwave and serve with your favorite toppings. They are sure to be a crowd pleaser, vegans & non vegans alike!
5 reasons you should make these vegan thai twice baked sweet potatoes:
- They are ideal for a Fall/Winter lunch or dinner
- The toppings are customizeable
- Leftovers are bomb
- The are ready start to finish in less than an hour
- They’re healthy and perfectly satisfying
- 2 medium/large sweet potatoes
- ⅓ cup coconut cream (see notes)
- ⅓ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ lime (juice)
- Chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Shredded carrots
- Chopped peanuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pierce each sweet potato with a fork a few times and place in oven for 45 minutes or until very tender to the touch (cook time will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes).
- In the meantime prepare your peanut sauce. Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until completely combined and creamy (add more/less water for desired consistency). Set aside.
- Once sweet potatoes are done, remove from oven and cool for 5-10 minutes.
- When cooled, slice in half and scoop out sweet potato, leaving ¼ inch on all sides so they can stand up on its own (see pictures). Place in a large bowl and add coconut cream. Using a potato masher or fork, mash until creamy and smooth.
- Scoop sweet potato mixture back into the 4 sweet potato skins. Place back in oven for 10 minutes or until mixture is heated through.
- Remove from oven and top with peanut sauce and desired toppings. Enjoy!
*This recipe can easily be doubled