Can you believe Easter is this coming Sunday? Spring is already flying by! Growing up Easter was always one of my favorite holidays. Baskets full of candy and goodies, what’s not to love? But one of my favorite parts (& still is) was the yummy carrot cake. So I am taking my childhood memory and turning it into a vegan, healthified and elevated dessert.
Let me introduce you to vegan spiced carrot cake oatmeal cookie sandwiches with a cashew cream cheese frosting. Trust me, you and your family will just love (& devour) these!
These cookie sandwiches are wonderful because they are naturally sweetened (yay no guilt!) with coconut oil + coconut sugar and made with whole wheat flour. Plus they require all wholesome ingredients that I’m willing to bet you already have on hand.
& the bake time is only 10 minutes. The hardest part? Letting them cool so you can apply the “frosting.” But trust me it is so, so worth it friends.
On a side note – if you are short on time or not the biggest fan of cookie sandwiches, the cookies are amazing by themselves without the cashew cream cheese frosting. Trust me, I ate one (or three) warm, right out of the oven. Major swoon!
I hope you and your loved ones have a magical Easter filled with lots of good eats! If you are also looking for an easy (& healthy) brunch idea, try my vegan veggie quiche with sweet potato crust. It’s sure to be a hit with all crowds!
5 reasons you should make these vegan spiced carrot cake oatmeal cookie sandwiches:
- Perfect for Easter & Spring time
- Naturally sweetened
- Guilt free
- Easy to make
- Flavors are majorly delicious
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup oats (not quick cooking)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 medium carrots shredded
- ¼ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk
Cashew cream cheese frosting
- ¾ cup cashews (soaked in boiling water for 1 hour)
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl add dry ingredients (whole wheat flour through sea salt). Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a separate medium sized bowl add your coconut sugar, coconut oil (make sure your coconut oil is very softened but not melted. I usually put my jar in the microwave for 20 or so seconds.) and vanilla extract. Using a whisk, whisk until completely incorporated and smooth.
- Add in your shredded carrots, apple sauce and almond milk. Stir until combined and add this mixture to your dry ingredients.
- Gently mix until fully incorporated, it will be a somewhat thick batter.
- Using a cookie scoop (about 1½-2 Tbsp), scoop out portions and place on your baking sheet (I could fit 12 on one sheet).
- Bake for 10 minutes and repeat with the second pan. Let cookies completely cool.
- While cookies are cooling, make your frosting by adding all ingredients to a high powered blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Using a piping bag or a ziploc bag with the corner cut off, pipe your frosting onto half your cookies. Place the other cookie on top and you have yourself a cookie sandwich! Enjoy!