If you’re vegan or are trying to be, I am sure you get asked the question, “how do you get your protein,” all the time. Am I right? I get asked this almost weekly, which is totally okay! I actually love answering the question because I get to enlighten people with all the proteins there are besides meat. Tofu, beans, lentils, quinoa, nut butter, hemp seeds & the list goes on! Most people have no idea protein is in these food choices. Minds are usually blown & opened. Absolutely love it!
I always try to start my day with eating a breakfast high in protein. Not only does it give me energy but it keeps me feeling full which is so very important. I probably whip up a tofu scramble at least 3 times a week which got me thinking why don’t I put it into a breakfast burrito? Sounded like a wonderful idea. Especially since I hadn’t had a “breakfast burrito” since before I stopped eating meat. Well, I just had to change that. Introducing – protein packed vegan breakfast burrito! Healthy + hearty + tasty. You are going to love these!
It may look like scrambled eggs in this breakfast burrito but I promise it’s scrambled tofu! The scramble gets its color from adding turmeric (magic ingredient!) with a little cumin, sea salt & pepper. There is also sautéed red onion and garlic in this scram. So simple yet so delicious.
The best part? This takes less than 10-minutes to make! The only other steps you have are picking out your fixins’ and rolling up your burritos! I opted for sliced avocado, black beans (protein packed) and pico de gallo. Yummy. All in 20-minutes or less!
Oh & there is a whopping 32 grams of protein in EACH burrito. I told you vegans get enough protein! Easy peasy my friends.
But wait…there is another bonus. You can double or even triple the recipe & freeze the burritos! Just place in a zip loc baggy and place in the freezer. So easy! Perfect for those crazy busy morning where you have to grab something and just go!
5 reasons you should make this vegan breakfast burrito:
- They come together in 20 minutes or less!
- There is 32 grams of protein in each burrito (so amazing!)
- You can double(or triple) the batch & freeze for the week
- They are perfect as a grab & go breakfast
- The toppings & fillings are customizable
- ½ medium red onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 12 oz extra firm tofu (pressed, see notes)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup black beans
- ½ avocado (chopped into small pieces)
- ⅓ cup salsa of choice (I used pico de gallo)
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas
- Place a medium sized skillet over medium heat and add your oil. Once heated add your onions & season with s&p. Cook until cooked down & starting to lightly brown (about 4-5 minutes). Add your garlic & cook (stirring constantly) for another minute.
- Add in your tofu (crumble it with your hands, see picture). Add in turmeric, cumin and another pinch of sea salt & pepper. Stir until fully combined. Remove from heat.
- To assemble your burritos line up all your ingredients (leaving room on all sides, see photo) & roll up! Enjoy!
- Feel free to freeze these, just place in a sealed plastic bag.
*Make sure you get extra firm tofu which has the least amount of moisture (I get mine from Trader Joes)