If there’s one food I’m sure we all love….it’s tacos. There are SO many options when it comes to them. Endless options for fillings, garnishes, sauces & vessels. Yes, vessels. You don’t have to have your taco in a traditional taco shell my friends.
Let me introduce you to the cabbage taco! Not only is it super healthy (& cool) but it’s also beautifully vibrant. Throw in some protein packed lentils & homemade vegan chipotle aioli and it’s sure to be a party. Taco Tuesday just got a healthified upgrade!
Honestly this recipe could not be simple-the key to my food loving heart. Start by making your lentils (or buy them pre cooked, see notes for my lazy girl tip).
The homemade vegan chipotle aioli is positively addicting. A healthy amount of this sauce is required on each taco. That is a must. Plus how can you not love a sauce when all you have to do is throw everything into a high powered blender? It’s almost too easy.
These are our new go to tacos for taco Tuesday, easy dinner nights and weekend get togethers. Have different topping options so everyone can customize their lentil cabbage tacos. Cilantro, jalapeños, pickled radish (& other pickled goodies), tofu, vegan cheese, tomatoes, etc. This is a sure way everyone will be satisfied & happy (all from a healthy plant based meal)!
5 reasons you should make these lentil cabbage tacos with vegan chipotle aioli:
- Colors and flavors are vibrant
- Ready in under 30-minutes
- Ingredients are fresh & wholesome
- Satisfying & filling
- Perfect for healthy taco Tuesday
- 1 small head purple cabbage
- 1 cup lentils (uncooked or cooked) * see notes
- ¾ cup cashews
- ⅓ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1½ chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (add ½ Tbsp adobo sauce for extra heat)
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Sliced pickled radishes (optional, or you can use fresh sliced radishes)
- Chopped cilantro
- Start by making your lentils. In a medium/large pot add 1 cup lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to a rapid boil & then decrease the heat to maintain a gentle simmer for 20 minutes. Cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
- While the lentils are cooking make your vegan chipotle aioli by placing the cashews, almond milk, chipotle peppers, lime juice, olive oil and sea salt in a high powered blender. Blend until completely smooth (if you are having a hard time blending add a little almond milk a Tbsp at a time to help the process). Set aside.
- To get your cabbage "shells" peal off the layers of the cabbage (I discard the first layer since it usually has some dirt).
- To assemble, add lentils to your cabbage shells (I like to fill them up as much as I can!), add chopped cilantro, pickled radishes and drizzle with chipotle aioli. Enjoy!
* Chipotle Aioli adapted from Minimalist Baker