Happy Spring friends! This is my absolute favorite time of year. Everything is blooming & colorful and most importantly, coming back to life. It truly is magical. When Spring comes, Easter is soon to follow (as in less than a month away!). I thought I would get ahead of the game this year and start to share Easter inspired recipes early.
When I think of Easter one of the first things that comes to mind is BRUNCH! A good ol’ brunch is always key. I wanted to make an easy, healthy, filling recipe so this vegan veggie quiche with sweet potato crust was born. Brunch just got a serious plant based healthified upgrade!
To make this quiche healthier I opted to use sweet potatoes for the crust. They’re sweet, wholesome and go perfect with the filling. Plus it takes very minimal time to throw it together.
There is a secret ingredient in this vegan quiche that I am willing to bet no one would guess. TOFU! Yes, the ever so versatile tofu. It makes a perfect replacement for eggs and the texture is spot on. Combined with spices and veggies it’s truly reminiscent of the real thing. SO major!
I hope you all love this vegan veggie quiche with sweet potato crust. Make it for Easter or make it any day for a healthy breakfast or brunch. No one will know it’s vegan (your secret is safe with me!).
5 reasons you should make this easy vegan veggie quiche with sweet potato crust:
- Perfect for Easter brunch (or any breakfast/brunch day!)
- Wholesome and healthy
- Super easy to whip up
- Minimal ingredients
- Delicious vegan version of a classic
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 4 cups spinach
- 12 oz firm silken tofu
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp ground sage
- Chopped green onion for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9 inch (standard) pie dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Peel and slice your sweet potatoes into ⅛ inch rounds. Layer your dish with the rounds to form a "crust" (see photo). Slice rounds in half to form the upper layer. Spray the sweet potatoes well with non stick cooking spray (I used this one) and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the sweet potato crust bakes start on your veggies. In a medium skillet over medium/high heat heat your oil and add your onions. Sautee for a minute, then add the garlic and halved tomatoes. Cook for 2 more minutes. Add spinach and cook until fully wilted. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
- To make your tofu filling blend the tofu, nutritional yeast, olive oil, garlic, s&p and ground sage in a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Add the tofu filling to the veggies and mix gently until fully combined.
- Once your potato crust is done cooking add your filling and smoothing out the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the filling is just starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!