I recently discovered smashed potatoes this year & lets just say I am a little obsessed with them (& so is my fiance!). I love that they are easy to make & customizable when it comes to the sauces & garnishes you can put on top. To elevate the smashed potatoes I decided to add an amazing pink tahini sauce (yes pink, stay tuned for the secret ingredient!) & add chopped fresh parsley. The combination of flavors is incredible.
Crispy carb + creamy sauce? SO much yes.
The magic ingredient in the pink tahini sauce? BEET! Tahini + beet + lemon juice + garlic + maple syrup and you have yourself some seriously magical & yummy sauce.
These crispy smashed potatoes do require a little time to cook (about 1 hour) BUT they are so so simple (& so worth it!):
Make pink tahini sauce (hello gorgeous)
Drizzle potatoes with olive oil + sea salt + pepper
Roast potatoes (so they get crispy & golden)
Drizzle potatoes with pink tahini sauce & fresh chopped parsley
Those are the steps my friends! So easy! YOU can do it.
5 reasons you should make these crispy smashed potatoes with pink tahini sauce:
- They are the perfect side dish to dinner
- The sauce is Amazing & so fun!
- They’re perfectly crispy, carby & tender
- The ingredients are minimal & wholesome
- They are easy to make & everyone will love them!
- 2 pounds of yukon gold potatoes
- olive oil
- Sea salt & pepper
Pink tahini sauce
- ½ cup tahini
- ½ of a small roasted(or boiled) & peeled beet * (see note)
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes in a large pot & cover with water. Bring to a roaring boil over high heat. Once boiling reduce heat to medium-high (to a low boil). Cook for 20 minutes or until fork tender.
- While potatoes are boiling make your pink tahini sauce by adding the beet, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, water & sea salt to a food processor or blender. Blend until completely smooth (adding water until you have reached your desired consistency).
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 450 degrees. Once potatoes are done boiling & soft, drain and place on the baking sheet. Using the bottom of flat glass, smash each potato (see photos for reference).
- Drizzle each smashed potato with 1 tsp olive oil & a generous amount of pepper & sea salt. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden & crispy.
- Drizzle each potato with pink tahini sauce & fresh chopped parsley. Best when fresh,. Enjoy!
* Pink tahini sauce adapted from the amazing Faring Well
* Smashed potatoes adapted from Oh She Glows cookbook