Thanksgiving is ONE week away! So much yes. Growing up it was my second favorite holidays (Christmas being first of course). I always woke up early to set the table (always my job that I took very seriously) and help my mom out in the kitchen. Pure bliss. My favorite dish then and now (besides dessert) was/is the sweet potato casserole. Back then we used candied yams, lots of butter, sugar, brown sugar and marshmallows. It’s no wonder why it was my favorite! It basically was a dessert in itself.
With that being said, I wanted to create a grown up, vegan version of my beloved childhood favorite dish. Trust me when I say….I created my new favorite thanksgiving dish. The best ever vegan sweet potato casserole with pecan crumble. I cannot wait to serve this up to my family next week. I know they are absolutely going to devour it. If you’re looking for a sweet potato casserole recipe, look no more. This is it my friend!
The base is made with peeled & boiled sweet potatoes which are pureed in the kitchenaide (or food processor/blender in batches). This creates perfectly creamy sweet potatoes. A must with sweet potato casserole! A little vegan butter, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla and almond milk are added to elevate the creaminess and necessary sweetness we all know and love.
But seriously just look at the creaminess!
This vegan sweet potato casserole comes together in around an hour and requires just 10 ingredients! Most of which you probably already have on hand. Plus you can even make the dish a day ahead of time. Make your base, place in casserole dish and cover in the fridge. You can either do the same with the crumble (make sure they’re separate until baking) or make that on Thanksgiving since it only takes a few minutes. Talk about easy preparation.
This is a perfect & easy dish for Thanksgiving. The holiday just wouldn’t be the same without a sweet potato casserole. Your family and friends will be super satisfied and licking their plates at the end of dinner (I know I will be!).
5 reasons you should make this vegan sweet potato casserole:
- It’s absolutely perfect for the holidays
- Vegans and non vegans will absolutely love it
- The prep work and ingredient list is minimal
- The crumble on top is sweet, crunchy and heaven in your mouth
- Leftovers are insanely delicious
- 3.5 pounds sweet potatoes (about 10 cups or 4 large sweet potatoes)
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter (or normal butter if not vegan)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 Tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Pinch of sea salt & cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup pecans
- ⅓ cup AP flour (or flour of choice)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 4.5 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt cinnamon (optional)
- Peel and chop your sweet potatoes into medium size chunks.
- Place in a large pot with water and a healthy pinch of sea salt.
- Bring pot to a boil then lower to medium/high and boil until sweet potatoes are fork tender (about 15 minutes).
- In the meantime prepare your crumble. Add all crumble ingredients to a food processor and pulse a until combined (or you can do by hand just make sure you use pecan pieces). It took me only 5 or 6 pulses. You still want chunks! Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Once potatoes are done, drain and place in your kitchen-aide mixing bowl along with 2 Tbsp butter. Using your paddle attachment mix until smooth. Next add in the maple syrup, almond milk, coconut sugar, vanilla, sea salt & cinnamon. Mix until smooth & creamy. (alternatively you can mash/mix by hand or use a blender/food processor in batches). I recommend using a device if you can because it creates the extra creamy consistency.
- Place your sweet potato mixture into a casserole dish and smooth out. Add your crumble topping so it's evenly distributed. Optional-add a handful of extra chopped pecans on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve!